Our school has a long and proud history in the Quadra community. Here are some of the highlights from the last hundred years or so:

  • 1912 — The site was purchased for $23,196.75. The first class was taught in a tent.
  • 1913 — The annex, consisting of two classrooms, was built. The school was named after Don Juan Francisco Quadra, a Spanish explorer in the coastal area in the latter part of the 18th century.
  • 1914 — The main building, consisting of eight classrooms and an auditorium, was completed. The school had an enrollment of 181 pupils, and Miss J.M. Duncan was the teacher-in-charge.
  • 1916 — The annex became an Industrial Arts Center. It continued to be used in this capacity until S.J. Willis Jr. Secondary School opened in 1950.
  • 1963 — The first addition, consisting of three classrooms, a library, and an administration area, was completed.
  • 1967 — The second addition, consisting of a four classroom open area, was completed.
  • 1974 — The gymnasium was completed.
  • 1975 — The open area was converted to a library.
  • 1979 — The French Immersion program transferred from Cloverdale school. The library was moved to its present location, which had previously been the school auditorium. The original open area became four self-contained classrooms.
  • 1980 — Fifth street was blocked off at Finlayson and part was added to the school playground. An adventure play area was installed.
  • 1989 — The 75th anniversary of the school was celebrated.
  • 1998 — Quadra School unveils its new logo, celebrating student diversity. At Quadra School we successfully completed our first Accreditation evaluation with the support of staff, students, parents, and the community.
  • 1999 — Our school continues to be an active and exciting place to be, serving approximately 400 students of diverse backgrounds with a wide variety of offerings. This year saw several Ministry of Education projects undertaken at Quadra designed to improve access for the physically challenged.
  • 2003 — Quadra becomes a K–5 school as part of the District Transition Initiative for the Reynolds Family of Schools.
  • 2004 — Quadra celebrates its 90th birthday!
  •  2013-2014 – Quadra School was seismically upgraded.  Students were bused to our alternative site on Richmond Road for the school year.
  •  2014-2015 – Quadra celebrated our 100th year:  Proud Past, Strong Present and Bright Future.
  •  2015 – In the spring, Tony Hunt Jr. carved a totem pole for Quadra Elementary to commemorate our 100th year anniversary.